Phone: (619) 236-1551 | eMail: email@example.com
A partner with the Firm, Michael Gibson specializes in complex litigation involving construction, environmental, real estate, and business-versus-business disputes, including cross-border and international matters. He also represents clients before California and Federal administrative agencies when licensing and regulatory compliance issues are involved. Outside of the courtroom, he assists clients with drafting and negotiating contracts and leases. Throughout his practice, Mr. Gibson has always brought practical advice, a strong work ethic and a sense of urgency in achieving efficient, effective and economical solutions for his clients.
Mr. Gibson’s balanced construction industry practice includes his representation of local, national and international companies that are owners (both public and private), developers, architects, engineers, general contractors and subcontractors, both as plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of construction litigation. He also appears before the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) defending accusations filed by the CSLB, and assists clients with contract drafting and negotiation. He Co-Chairs the San Diego County Bar Association’s Construction Law Section and is a frequent speaker on new developments in construction law. Representative matters he has handled include:
- Construction project claims involving breach of contract, payment issues (mechanic’s liens, stop notices, payment and performance bond claims), prevailing wage matters and delay/disruption/acceleration problems.
- Defense of developers, designers, general contractors and subcontractors, in warranty, product liability and construction defect claims, including personal injury claims alleging mold exposure.
- Representation of architects, engineers and other design professionals in matters involving errors and omissions claims.
- Defense of owners and designers against claims for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
As environmental standards and regulations have become more stringent and complex over the years, Mr. Gibson has been at the forefront of toxic tort/environmental litigation representing a wide variety of clients throughout California alleged to have violated local, state and federal environmental laws, including the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA, or the Superfund Act), California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), and other California and Federal statutes and regulations.
His experience includes compliance counseling, defense of lawsuits and administrative enforcement proceedings involving air, soil and water quality, hazardous waste and toxic substance management.
In addition to defending companies in these types of matters, this expertise has allowed him to guide and counsel clients in the growing craft brewing industry within the area of environmental affairs, insurance, licensing and leasing.
For close to fifteen years, Mr. Gibson has represented numerous types of entities, both small and large, local and international, in all types of commercial disputes. During this time, he has developed a specialty in matters involving manufacturer-distributor contracts, cross-border litigation, leasing/rental agreements, and real estate disputes.
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law (1998)
- B.A., University of Southern California (1992)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association, Chair Construction Law Section (2011-2013)
- San Diego Defense Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Construction Forum and Section of Environment, Energy & Resources
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter